Tips to Consider Before Applying for a Loan
Are you seeking money to booster your existing business or funds to establish a new business? Well, loans can be an ideal source for funds. However, before you start applying for the credit, you must consider critical factors. Some of the things to reflect on include interest rates, time given to repay the debt, and type of loans. This post covers factors to consider before applying for loans.
Types of Loans
Borrowed funds can be used differently. From buying a car or even funding businesses, loans are important financial boosts. However, the credit varies with the purpose. Highlighted below are the types of credits we should know:
- Personal loans- This loan is unsecured as one does not require collateral. However, the interest rates are high, and only a few hundred are offered. The amount is only enough to buy personal items like a TV or other petty things. Furthermore, lenders provide a short time for repayment.
- Home-equity loan- This credit is given only to people who own homes. The borrowers can get a loan equal to the value of their home. Interest rates are low, and the home is used as collateral.
- Cash advance-If I own an ATM or am under payroll, I can access this credit. However, the interest rates are high, and the loan is directly cut from any amount deposited into the account.
- Small business loan- investors establishing new or those expanding their businesses can access this credit. The loan is approved after providing businesses plans and a guarantee. The length of small business loans can extend up to twenty-five years.
- Student’s loan- these funds are given to university or college students. These finances help to cover the costs of higher education.
- Mortgages- if I can’t pay for a home upfront, a mortgage can be an ideal loan to apply. The home to buy is used as security of the loan.
Interest rates vary from various lenders and the type of loan we apply. The rates charged by lenders can determine the repayment amount. For instance, when we borrow from lenders charging higher rates, the amount to repay will be huge compared to other people getting the same sum of money at a lower interest rate. To benefit from loans, we should look for financial institutions or lenders offering the most affordable interest rates.
Lenders provide a period in which the money must be repaid. However, the duration can be changed if lenders find that we can repay the loan within a shorter period. Therefore, before applying for loans, we should consider if we are in a position to repay it within the period given by the lenders.
Mark you; we should understand that the length of loans can affect the repayment amount. For example, if I pay a loan for twenty years, the rate will be different from someone paying the same loan with equal interest rate within ten years.
Like everyone else, I would hope that I can repay my loan within the agreed period. However, before applying, I should know what would happen if I failed to repay my loan. Most lenders have weighty penalties that are reflected on credit accounts. For instance, some lenders are in a hurry to auction collateral given, while others have hefty fines. Therefore, it is important to inquire about the actions that the potential lender takes when one is unable to repay on time.
After collecting money for your loan, lenders provide a duration of six months to a year before you can start paying the installments. This period helps borrowers to stabilize and be in a position of repaying. Make sure you get the longest grace period possible since during this duration there are no interest charges.